- Smoked Gouda Cheese Dip
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup baking soda
- 1 egg, beaten
- Coarse salt, for topping
- In a mixing bowl, combine warm water, sugar, and salt. Stir until the sugar and salt dissolve. Sprinkle the yeast over the water mixture and let it sit for 5 minutes until it becomes foamy.
- Add the flour and melted butter to the bowl with the yeast mixture. Stir until the dough comes together.
- Transfer the dough to a floured surface and knead for about 5 minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic. Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover it with a clean towel, and let it rise in a warm place for about 1 hour or until it doubles in size.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F (230°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Punch down the risen dough to release any air bubbles. Divide the dough into equal-sized portions and roll each piece into a rope shape. Twist the ropes into pretzel shapes.
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil and add baking soda. Boil the pretzels, a few at a time, for about 30 seconds on each side. Remove them from the water using a slotted spoon and place them on the prepared baking sheet.
- Brush the tops of the pretzels with beaten egg and sprinkle them with coarse salt.
- Bake the pretzels in the preheated oven for about 12-15 minutes or until they turn golden brown and are cooked through. Remove them from the oven and let them cool slightly.